Wednesday, September 06, 2006

An adventure in olive oil

When I first moved back to Vancouver from Umbria, Italy I knew the one thing I could not live without was the wonderful extra virgin olive oil that I was accustomed to drizzling over just about everything. The oil in Umbria is green and spicy and perfect for salads, grilled meat and bruschette.
Before leaving, I decided to buy a huge stainless steal drum and 60 litres of olive oil from my friend Francesco at the olive mill down the road. I had helped harvest the olives and I wanted to take my bit of Umbria home with me to share with my friends and family. I knew no one at home had probably had the pleasure of tasting fresh pressed olive oil. In fact, when I got back to Vancouver I realised most of the fancy olive oil I saw in stores was being sold past its prime and at hefty prices.
After tasting my olive oil, friends started to ask me if they could buy some. This is when my mother and I got the idea of importing olive oil from the town of Amelia where I had lived for the last two years. This is how we started Amelia Oil.

www.ameliaoil.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home